Factors Affecting Teaching
This is an important topic that requires attention for Teaching Aptitude section for Paper 1 examination. At-least, one-two questions are asked from this topic every year.
Three variables that form the basic foundation of teaching are
- Dependent variable
- Independent variable
- Intervening variable
The learner or the student is considered to be a dependent variable, and the teacher is an independent variable. Effective teaching requires greater degree of interaction between dependent and independent variable. Factors establishing the interaction between these variables form the intervening variable. For example- methodology and techniques, teaching environment, the content of teaching, etc. The degree of interaction between the three variables determines how effective teaching is.
Following is a description of each of these variables in detail.
- Qualifications of the teacher :
- Qualification of a teacher has an impact on the knowledge and understanding of the teacher. Higher degree thus affects the teaching ability to some extent.
- Besides degree, professional training also plays a very significant role. It helps in all round development of students such as developing the right attitude, inquisitiveness and critical thinking.
- Teacher-Student Relationship :
- The relationship between teacher and students is not supposed to be strictly hierarchical in nature. Both sides demand respect, affection and mutual understanding.
- In order to have smooth communication there has to be a connect between the teacher and the student. The student should not be scared to ask any question and the teacher should encourage curiosity in students.
- Monotonous lectures can sometimes have a discouraging impact on the students, the teacher student relationship should be such that free flow of information and ideas can happen from both sides.
- Methodology :
- A good teacher must have a good hang on the varieties of methods that can be used for teaching.
- If teaching becomes monotonous, students can lose interest in classes or lectures.
- To keep it appealing, the teacher must use very creative methods. There are teacher-centred methods, student-centred methods, content-focused methods and interactive or participation methods.
- For effective teaching, more and more use of learner-centred methods should be made. In any chosen method, the teacher should not appear as an authority figure. He or she should be the facilitator and resource for teaching and learning.
- Classroom Environment :
- Classroom environment plays a very important role in making teaching effective as it affects the learning process. The environment should be such that it promotes active participation by students with teachers as well as cooperative environment with others.
- Further teacher’s ability for conflict resolution, and free flowing and stable communication channel between them also plays a major role in creating a conducive learning environment.
- Skills of a Teacher :
- Teaching skill of a teacher is the most important factor that makes teaching effective. A teacher should be intuitive and creative enough to understand the class and choose methodology most suitable for students.
- Further communication skills, interpersonal skills, soft skills and computer skills are some of the other attributes that make skill set of a teacher rich.
- Institutional Policies :
- Sometimes the policies of institution Whether one is a school teacher or a college teacher, administrative policies of the institution also affect the teaching process. A teacher may want to teach beyond classroom instruction but policies of the educational institutions can limit such motivation.
- The design of curriculum or teaching methods by the institutions can shape the course of a teacher’s overall performance and competence. A rigid curriculum can sometimes limit the scope of creativity.
- Rewards :
- It is often suggested that in order to attract quality educators it is very important for the government to make this profession monetarily more lucrative.
- This shows that rewards, and incentives also play a great role in making teaching effective. This encourages more and more educated and passionate educators feel incentive to take up the profession and perform better. To sum up, above listed factors are the ingredients to effective teaching.
- Qualifications of the teacher :